Sunday, April 20, 2014

After Ever After


I came across this video and thought this was a really funny and creative way to express political views on certain (somewhat) current events…I’ve provided the link to the video and analyzed some of the lyrics…enjoy!


AFTER EVER AFTER - LYRICS

         Song by: Paint

If you've ever wondered why

Disney's tales all end in lies

Here's what happened after all their dreams came true



Ariel

I loved being princess down in -- this beautiful ocean blue

But mermaids are going missing -- they end up in someone's stew

So just try to put yourself in -- to somebody else's gills

You're killing my ecosystem -- with fishing and oil spills


Thank you BP, thank you BP

The British are killing, oil is spilling

Now I can't see... MY EYES!


Chinamen feast on Flounder's fins

Plus the Japanese killed all my whale friends

Oceans are browning, I think I'm drowning

Thanks to BP


YOU SUCK!



Jasmine

Hey, I'm OK, but I'm slightly scared

My husband's a mark for the War on Terror

Aladdin was taken by the CIA


We're not Taliban

You've got the wrong man

In Guantanamo Bay


Prince Ali, where could he be, drowning in wawa

Interrogation from the nation of the "free"

Bin Laden's taken the fall

We're not trained pilots at all


Jafar went crazy and no one put up a fuss

We're for freedom, Genie can vouch for us

Bush was crazy, Obama's lazy, al-Qaeda's not in this country

Set free my Prince Ali



Belle

A horror! A horror! A horror, a horror, a horror!*

This town's gone wild since I married Adam**
They think I'm going straight to hell

But the charges laid on me

Of bestiality

Could wind up getting me thrown in a cell


No, I'm overrun by mad men

I hear they plan to burn me at the stake

They legit believe I'm Satan

And now I hear that PETA's gonna take my beast away



Pocahontas

After John Smith traveled back to England

I helped my people cultivate the fields

More English, French, and Spaniards came to visit

And they greeted us with guns and germs and steel


They forced us into unknown lands of exile

They pillaged, raped, and left us all for dead

So now I'm far more liberal with a weapon

When I separate their bodies from their heads
(Wait – what?!)

Have you ever held the entrails of an English guy?

Or bit the beating hearts of Spanish men?

Can you shoot an arrow in some French guy's eyeball?

Can you paint with the red colors in these men


I can murder if I please

Cause I'm dying of disease

I can paint with the red colors in these men



Thanks to BP

Where's Prince Ali?

Bestiality

I've got STDs

(Wa wa, wa wa wa wa) [Disney theme song]

*Censored for educational purposes
**the Beast


Analysis:

“Thank you BP” - A reference to British Petroleum, an English oil company responsible for the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010, which is considered the largest accidental marine oil spill in the history of the petroleum industry. After the Deepwater Horizon oil rig sank to the sea floor, an oil gusher continued to flow for 87 days before it was finally capped, resulting in the expulsion of an estimated 4.9 million barrels of oil. Some reports indicate that the well continues to leak.

“Chinamen feast on Flounder’s fins” – China accounts for one third of the world’s reported fish production, and it’s reported harvest (in ponds, lakes, and tanks)  in 2005 was more than 10 times that of the second place nation – 32.4 million tons to India’s 2.8 million tons. IChina’s wild fish catch (from rivers, lakes, and the sea) was 17.1 million tonnes in 2005, compared to the U.S.’s reported 4.9 million tonnes. (1 tonne = 1,000 kg = 2,204.6 lbs)

“Japanese killed all my whale friends” – A reference to the Japanese whaling industry, which began in the 12th century and is still going on today. Currently, Japanese whaling is conducted by the Institute of Cetacean Research under the title of ‘scientific whale hunts’, after which the whale meat acquired from these hunts is sold in shops and restaurants. These hunts are a source of conflict between pro- and anti-whaling organizations today, and some consider the Japanese research program to be a thinly disguised commercial whaling operation.

“Guantanamo Bay” -  Referencing the Guantanamo Bay detention camp that is a U.S. military prison located in a naval base in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. It was initially set up in 2002 to detain, interrogate, and prosecute dangerous prisoners for war crimes. Detainees captured in the “War on Terror” (terrorism) were transported to the prison, many of them from Afghanistan and later Iraq. In 2009, President Obama signed an order to suspend proceedings for 120 days and shut down the facility for that year. Later in 2011, he signed the Defense Authorization Bill, which placed restrictions on the transfer of prisoners to the mainland or other foreign countries, impeding the closure of the facility. As of March 2014, 154 detainees remain at Guantanamo. (“Drowning in wawa” refers to waterboarding, an interrogation tactic used by the “nation of the free”, aka the United States.)


Both Belle and Pocahontas’s sections are pretty obvious…if you really need an explanation go to these links:
Pocahontas: Covered in the AP reviews, or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley, I think this is a super cool video and I love that you have posted it here because I think it really relates to the history of social media's use in government criticism's. This form of communication is really important in a democracy, because it provides a way for people from all different walks of life to access information about their government's actions. For example there are professionals, students, parents, teachers, rich people, poor people and people from all over the world on Facebook. Only a few choice individuals who have an active interest in politics seek out political information in the forms of newspapers or magazines. Thus something published on a social media website offers information to a group of people on a much larger scale. In addition, social media also allows people to share their personal opinions regarding government. Magazines such as Newsweek and Maclean's tend to offer a broader more black and white opinion, while personal opinions can have more areas of gray in them. Also personal opinions also offer a multitude of different perspectives, which keeps everyone thinking. This song is a great example of a personal opinion because it provides one view of the issues listed above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Emma! I thought it was a fun, entertaining, and interesting way to look at politics - using Disney characters was also very creative! The range of political events covered in the song is interesting as well, and I think you make a good point about government criticism. The line "Bush was crazy, Obama's lazy, Al-Queda's not in this country..." was very shocking, and I couldn't help but think that in other countries someone publicly sharing something criticizing the government and it's officials would not be allowed. It's interesting to think about, and I feel grateful that we have freedom of speech so that we are allowed creative outlets for political opinions, such as this song. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete