Tuesday, April 22, 2014

We'll be there in Ukraine...later.

On April 21st, our government declared that it will act in days against Russia if it doesn't ease the tensions building up in Ukraine.

I don't know about you, but the whole "in days" thing smacks a bit like the "with all deliberate speed" clause in the Brown vs Board of Education to me.  I mean, Russia invaded Ukraine a long while back, and we've done nothing to help out the Ukrainians.  Clearly we're not ready to butt heads with Russia yet.  How many days are we going to allow Russia to increase world tensions before we come up with a clear ultimatum?  Insofar, this declaration hasn't been backed by NATO or the UN, so again the US is trying to take matters in its own hands.  Historically, US intervention has mostly tarnished our image; going it alone isn't usually a positive thing.

But at least the government is reacting to this threat, but in my opinion, not quick enough.  Even if the government did pull its finger out and intervene, it would be another dedication that the US would be stuck and invested to.  All in all, I believe that the nations of the world need to sit down and talk things over as soon as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post - I really like how you linked this topic to "with all deliberate speed", as it was something we emphasized in class. I think you are right, too - I'm calling the bluff! I don't see the U.S. intervening in 'days', though maybe it will happen sometime in the future. It will be interesting to see who is right!

    ReplyDelete